The field of dentistry continues to evolve as trusted technology advances care for dentists and patients. One example of this progress is the recent implementation of laser technology. Dr. Sharon Dickerson is delighted to offer our patients access to this state-of-the-art care through the introduction of our Solea® laser. The Solea® laser is an innovative dental laser that enhances the patient experience by routinely removing the need for needles, drilling, and anesthesia during dental procedures.
Solea® Laser FAQs
Solea® is the top-selling soft, hard, and osseous tissue laser in the field of dentistry. It is the first laser of its kind to be approved by the FDA and utilizes a sophisticated computer to deliver a unique wavelength. It features isotopic CO2 technology that produces a very narrow, intense beam of light energy. As a result, this laser is able to gently reshape and/or remove oral soft and hard tissues (i.e., gingiva, dentin, enamel, and bone tissues) with fast and safe precision.
- The Solea® dental laser offers many benefits that greatly enhance the patient experience:
- Reduced Need for Needles & Drills: Nearly all dental treatments are able to be accomplished with the Solea® laser, which significantly decreases the need for needles and drills. This offers patients a more comfortable appointment and shortened recovery time.
- Reduced Need for Anesthetic Injections: The Solea® laser harnesses a wavelength of light that delivers thousands of pulses per second and results in an analgesic (numbing) effect. Thus, it temporarily removes sensation on the targeted surface. As a result, most patients can receive care without the need for anesthetic injections and prolonged numbing.
- Clinically Beneficial: Solea® affords many clinical benefits to the patient. It often minimizes bleeding, reduces the need for sutures, sterilizes treatment sites and lowers risk of bacterial infection, promotes healing of wounds, expedites tissue regeneration, and involves less damage to surrounding soft tissue.
- Peaceful Procedures: With the need for noisy drilling greatly reduced, patients are able to enjoy a much quieter and calmer experience.
- Shorter Visits: Since patients do not have to wait for anesthesia, appointments are able to be completed in a much shorter time frame.
- Efficient Appointments: By offering shorter procedure times, the Solea® laser enables the doctor and patient to accomplish more care in a single visit. This translates into fewer appointments and less time commitment from patients.
- Enjoyable Experience: With needle-free, drill-free, comfortable, and shortened dental appointments, Solea® helps to eliminate the dread that some patients can feel when approaching dental care. Rather, it creates a positive and uplifting experience that results in oral vitality.
Solea® can be used in the majority of dental procedures including routine cavity fillings, crown placements/removals, and restoration of old fillings.
Solea® is safe and effective for pregnant women. It is also safe for those who have preexisting health conditions, pacemakers, and orthodontic devices. Due to its biocompatible (and radiation-free) nature, it is also supportive for those who are immunocompromised.
Implementation of Solea® technology during dental procedures is relatively safe when operated by a qualified and experienced dentist. While there are potential side effects to consider in any dental procedure, those related to laser dentistry are much less significant when compared to traditional methods. The most common potential side effects are damage to surrounding gum tissue and/or injury to the tooth pulp. However, when managed by a skilled professional, these risks are minimal.
“As someone who struggles with a fear of needles, I was extremely excited to learn that Dr. Dickerson had an alternative option. I had a pretty significant cavity treated using the Solea laser and it was incredible! I kept waiting to feel some kind of pain or scary sensation, but nothing happened. I am grateful that Dr. Dickerson and her team have this technology for people like me. Now I can stay up-to-date with my dental care and not push things off as a result of my anxieties.”