Minimally Invasive Dentistry
The primary principle of minimally invasive dentistry centers around preserving as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. At Dr. Sharon Dickerson, we strive to educate our patients on proactive measures for preventing the destruction of their teeth. However, if it becomes necessary to restore tooth structure, we utilize Bioclear and other methodologies to minimize grinding of the tooth as much as possible. We also find that many cosmetic concerns can be addressed utilizing additive procedures rather than grinding the tooth down for restoration.
Minimally Invasive Dentistry FAQs
- Preserves as much of the natural tooth structure as possible, which vastly minimizes the risk of nerve damage and/or tooth loss
- Often less expensive than more invasive reconstruction (e.g., a dental crown)
- Regularly used as a means of treating dental caries/cavities at early stages, thus preventing progressive levels of decay that may have required more complex treatment if left unattended
- Improved comfort during dental procedures as a result of more gentle treatment (less drilling)
- Supportive method of care for those patients seeking a trauma/anxiety-informed approach to their dentistry
Methods of dentistry considered to be more invasive are procedures that involve the manipulation of the gum tissues, extraction or implantation of teeth, and degradation of the natural tooth structure to a significant degree. While these methods of dental care are sometimes necessary, Dr. Dickerson first performs a comprehensive diagnosis to determine if a more subtle approach may be viable. The goal is to address the root cause of disharmony in the mouth while inflicting the least amount of trauma to the oral and systemic environment.
Depending on the severity of diagnosis, some form of drilling may still be necessary in minimally invasive care. However, the goal is to preserve as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. Therefore, any grinding or drilling would be done with a very conservative approach.
- Bioclear – a cutting-edge technique used for smile rejuvenation and treatment of black triangles
- Bite Rejuvenation – this unique approach to TMJ and jaw disharmony requires no surgical manipulation
- Advanced X-Ray Imaging – used to pinpoint diagnosis and target care
- Dental Microscope – our state-of-the-art Global A-Series Dental Microscope allows Dr. Dickerson to diagnose and treat patients with enhanced precision
- Laser Dentistry – allows for precise and gentle care that often minimizes the need for anesthesia or drilling
“What more can I say besides 5 stars?! The whole team is kind and patient, the process was smooth, and they genuinely care about your comfort and getting you to optimal health. I woke up the morning after decay removal from an old crown and thought I’d feel horrible, but my eyes are clearer and dare I say my skin and under eyes look less inflamed! Taking care of your mouth after years of avoiding it is the best thing I’ve done. Coming to this office has been a pleasure. I am excited to get to a place of having a pain-free and healthy mouth with a whole body health approach, Love you guys!”